USAID PRIORITAS is a five year USAID-funded project designed to improve access to quality education for children in Indonesia. USAID PRIORITAS is part of an agreement between the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Indonesia. The project will work closely with national and local partners to:
- Improve the quality and relevance of teaching and learning in schools.
- Develop better management and governance in schools and districts.
- Support better coordination within and between schools, teacher training institutions and government at all levels.
Teacher Training Institutions:
USAID PRIORITAS expects to work with teacher training institutes (TTIs) to improve their capacity to deliver pre- and in-service teacher education programs and to support districts to improve education management and governance. Key activities include:
- Training TTI staff in the use of project developed teacher training materials to support improved teacher education programs in both pre- and in- service training.
- Supporting the development of pre- and in-service teacher training curricula and the availability of teacher education resource facilities and materials.
- Building links between the TTIs and schools to provide an improved practical teaching experience for students.
- Supporting TTIs to develop their role in providing in-service training programs to districts.
USAID PRIORITAS will work closely with the TTI's, the Quality Assurance Institutions (LPMP), and related quality assurance and training institutions to improve the quality of school management and instruction in schools in project partner districts. Main activities are:
- Building the capacity of district facilitators (school supervisors, school principals and teachers) to train schools and teachers in improved instructional methodologies and management and governance.
- Training school supervisors, principals, teachers and community members through study visits, class-based training, school cluster activities and ongoing training and in-school mentoring by the district facilitators.
- In working with schools, USAID PRIORITAS intends to use a “whole school approach” to improvement. This means that
- All members of the school community will be involved: teachers, principals, community members, and students.
- All aspects of school development will be addressed, including good practices in teaching and learning, school-based management and community participation.
USAID PRIORITAS will work with provincial and district governments to:
- Support the use of good data and information for planning, budgeting and policy development.
- Improve linkages between schools, districts, provinces, teacher training institutions and national government.
- Increase the role of civil society in governing education.